One step in the right direction won't change the world but it's a start.


During one of my conversations with my new pal J we got to talking about what we want to do in our lives, he wants to tour across Canada and me, well, I want to make a difference.

One of my biggest fears in life is to die and to not have left an impact, now I know what you are thinking and yes I understand that my friends and future family will miss me and I will influence their lives but I want more than that. I want to impact the world.

I can remember sitting in Mr. Bennett's English Lit class, listening to him ramble on about "the part for the whole" and perusing over all the poets and prose writers that we were to learn about that semester and I can recall thinking this thought: "I wonder what they would say if they knew that their words were still being studied today" Isn't that so cool though!? Some guy who wrote a love poem for a girl he liked over three hundred years ago is still relevent. I WANT THAT! Not necessarily in the written word but in anything. I want people to look back and know the name Amy Pickard, I want to leave my mark.

One thing I would really love to do is work for an organization like TWLOHA. For those of you who are out of the loop (usually me!) that stands for To Write Love on Her Arms. It's an organization who's mission statement reads: "...a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery."

You may be wondering why TWLOHA? Well you see, my sister (as far as I know) is a recovering cutter, she was picked on all throughout school for being who she was and not backing down when people asked her to conform, the measures she took to deal with this broke my heart but, I have to admit, some days I wished so hard that she would just change, for it would of made my life so much easier. Day after day I was constantly asked "did you see what your sister is wearing?", or "that's your sister!?" Luckily I have now realized that for her to make my life easier it would of made hers even harder for she would of been hiding her true self and no one should ever have to do that.
And for myself, I too have struggled with depression (aforementioned in previous posts) it's a
constant battle and most days are better than others. I want to tell my story and my sister's to let the world know that it does get better and you don't have to let this be a burden, you can still live your life to the fullest and have many moments that make you think "This is Good"

So that's the big dream. If you would like to know more about TWLOHA and all the work that they are doing check out their site at http://www.twloha.com/index.php Rescue is possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm just a lovesick fool....

Daddy here I am...

Scared shitless to leave home, and I don't want to go alone.