Daddy here I am...


Yesterday was my Dad's birthday, and frankly my first thought was: big whoop. Our relationship with one another is slightly strained as my parents are divorced and I live with my Mom but I thought he deserved a little hang sesh with yours truly. So, this morning we went for breakfast and while we were chit chatting I realized my Dad is fifty years old! FIFTY! Apparently he isn't too happy about this and when I asked how his birthday was he said, "rather depressing."

For a young person getting older is the best part of our life. We live for the milestones, 10 years, 13, 16, 19, and so on and so forth, but when do we get to the point in our lives when we no longer want to grow older? When does our mind shift from trying to act mature to acting like a kid half our age?

My Dad is going through what would be classified as "a mid-life crisis." (although most of his life has been rather ridiculous) He invites his bosom buddy from next door over and they drink like frat boys til one of them finally smartens up and ends the night. Waking up with a hangover is not an appealing thought, let alone waking with one at fifty. Thus I get easily irritated by this man and his actions and wonder how I got stuck with this character for a Dad.

But luckily I have somewhere else to turn. God has been given many different names but the one I connect with most is "Heavenly Father." My worldly father may not rank high in the books but I have another who never disappoints. I can run into His arms and be comforted when my own father is not fit for the job.

It's a horrible thought and it disgusts me that I can even say that about someone who I am supposed to honour and cherish, but it's fact. I pray that the love that I have for God can transcend into an equal love for my Dad, I think that would be more valuable than any tie or sweater I could find.

"Daddy here I am again, will you take me back tonight? I went and made the world my friend and it left me high and dry. I drag your name back through the mud that you first found me in. Not worthy to be called your son, is this to be my end? Daddy, here I am" Casting Crowns- Prodigal

Comments

  1. Even though I am only going to be 20-- I am still dreading it. I stopped liking getting older at 16 :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah being a kid was so much fun and now its time to grow up. POOOOOOOP

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what you took from that? Oh girls you make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog!!! It is so awesome to hear how God is working in your life...your life is a huge witness for Christ (even when we make mistakes;). Keep it up! Luv ya! Karen K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Karen! Thank you so much, means alot <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm just a lovesick fool....

Scared shitless to leave home, and I don't want to go alone.