What does it take to love without expecting something?


A few months ago a friend and fellow blogger at "A Looney Concept" posted a blog under the title of "How a hook-up can turn into love" to sum things up she had read an article in good ol' Cosmopolitan magazine that said something like random hook-ups are now socially acceptable and can turn into a lasting relationship for the stigma that follows them is no longer an issue. Nevertheless we both completely disagree with and are rather disgusted by this comment.

But me being me made a little simile with this statement by comparing it to our relationship with Christ. Now take this with a grain of salt here and hear me out cause I feel I'm about to make a semi-good point, either that or I'll just ramble for a while like usual.

Many people come to Christ in a random "Hook up" sort of way, let me explain: with there being so many events and musical festivals such as History Maker, Creationsfest, YouthQuake and the like many christian teens bring their non-christian friends hoping that their eyes and ears may be opened to the gospel. I can think of all the times I have invited close friends just hoping that they would leave with a closer understanding of God and hopefully an itch to start a relationship with Him. Many times the speaker at these events preaches a beautifully moving sermon that gets everyone amped up for Christ and excited to go forth into the world and spread His love. This is usually followed by an altar call where mass numbers of teens jump at the chance to accept Jesus into their hearts, and on occasion this is where that friend of yours says they want Jesus too. Thus the random hook- up.

Having no preconceived knowledge of Jesus or Christianity when hearing about all the love and the great life that they are missing out on they are instantly attracted to that and think why not? Spending one night with Christ to feel loved.

But how do we turn that hook up into a long lasting relationship?

In a similar article from an august 2010 issue of Marie Clare it says that this is possible as long as "[the people in said relationship] are willing to make a commitment."

Just to clarify I'm not saying that this is a waste of a relationship with Christ, frankly I get super excited when I witness these sorts of things happening and a saved soul is a saved soul in my eyes.

I may not be for casual hook-ups with people but hey a casual hook-up with Jesus sounds pretty fantastic with me, as long as your in it for the long haul I'll support you, we can even double date :)

ta-ta for now-- Amy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm just a lovesick fool....

Daddy here I am...

There's a reason that I love this town...